SMTP Authentication against database on separate POP/IMAP host

I have been googling for several days now and still have not come up with a solution for this problem. I inherited two machines one of which runs the POP/IMAP servers and contains a virtual user PAM database. The other machine runs an SMTP server which is used for relaying the email for the internal subscribers of our small rural wireless ISP. The SMTP relay is closed off from the outside world, but I have never liked this solution because any of our subscriber machines could be hacked and used to turn the SMTP server into a open relay or worse. Additionally many of subscribers travel and want access to the SMTP server which I can not give them.

I want to setup SSL and authenticate our subscribers using the SMTP server against the PAM database kept on the host running the POP/IMAP servers. Has anyone done anything like this before? I am open to suggestions. I was hoping to avoid duplicating the PAM database on the SMTP server if I can. I would appreciate references to any documentation, references etc. Thanks.

--
Paul (ganci@xxxxxxxxxx)