Re: My core 3 install's sound stopped working!

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, blank wrote:

Hello all,

New guy to the list here and finally have Linux only on my workstation. I know my hardware is supported as well, it worked perfectly after install and for a week or so afterwards.

Anyway, I have no sound now and dmesg only gives "application mplayer uses obsolete OSS audio interface" when I try mplayer and dmesg shows nothing about say, xmms even though it appears to play, but no sound. I've used up2date and yum to upgrade most things. xmms is from source as is mplayer, but I think that is all I've installed from source dealing with sound.

I've removed my sound card, let kudzu remove the configuration for it, added the sound card again, let kudzu add it, and still no sound. As I've said, sound used to work and I've checked things like mute and wires and connections.

While recommending an "mplayer -ao alsa" to go through alsa rather than oss, I could only think of:
- The sound card having died (any chance to check it in another PC/OS?)
- The mixer. Today (after upgrading my kernel) sonehow all my mixer controls were down to 0 and muted. Just double-check with alsamixer on a console, as root (this is important, don't do it as a normal user, it didn't help for me either! Dunno yet why not, however) that your controls are up and not muted.

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.HaJo.Net