Re: How do you know?

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:12:06 +0100, Maciej R. <m.mail@xxxxx> wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse' or
> 'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'? If you had a choice
> between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on DVD'
> what would you do?

I'm basically unfamiliar with SuSE, so I'm not really comparing
exactly what you need; but I do have experience with Debian, Mandrake,
RedHat and now Fedora (since FC1). Why I use FC3 on my desktops (home
and work) and laptop (work):

1) This mailing list is incredibly great. If you can't get an answer
here, it can't be done (check out the last two questions I asked, that
nobody has answered :-)).
2) There are lots of rpms out there; Fedora rpms are close to the
limit of new-ness while being very stable; and yum/apt makes package
management easy. I like apt on Debian as much or more, and SuSE is
probably good at this too, but Mandrake is always breaking their urpmi
repos and it drove me mad.
3) I can never get GUIs to work on Debian (we use a mix of Debian and
Redhat on servers). I've never tried very hard, but I don't really
want to, either.
4) Fedora is zero initial cost, and because of #1, above, the TCO is
also minimized.
5) Fedora is as open source as it gets, and I really like RedHat's
commitment to OSS. I feel like I'm helping, at least a little bit more
with Fedora than I would be sith SuSE or Mandrake.
6) Centrino (both the wireless adapter and the power-saving features)
works pretty painlessly. That may be true of most distros, for all I
know.
7) I really like Bluecurve, Fedora's default desktop theme. I'm sure I
can get it for other distros, with a whole lot of tedious effort I'd
rather not suffer.

Basically what it comes down to is that in all the things I care
about, Fedora Core does pretty well. It may not win in every category,
but there are no show-stoppers (like Mandrake breaking urpmi all the
time, or Debian being a pain to install). In the case of SuSE, for us
the show-stoppers would be a) it costs money, and b) this mailing list
isn't about SuSE.

The one thing I really wish Fedora had was a separate
security/features updates system like Debian, so you could turn on the
security updates and turn everything else off, when it made sense.
That's almost enough to make me switch, but not quite.