Re: question about ssh

Can I suggest the use of a graphical iptables manager like firestarter?

That way, not only will you be able to see what is hitting your system, and
potentially identify them, you can apply specific rules easily and see the
result.

I agree with Ed Wilts that the best way is to block all sshd connections, then
open stealth ports for specific fixed IPs.

Just opening an unusual port for sshd won't do the trick ... a port scanner
will find the hole in seconds, and if your systems have already been
attacked, then he'll come back for another look at some time - or one of his
friends will.

TD