Re: question about ssh

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:16:59 +0000, Tony Dietrich <td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I agree with Ed Wilts that the best way is to block all sshd connections, then
>open stealth ports for specific fixed IPs.
>
>Just opening an unusual port for sshd won't do the trick ... a port scanner
>will find the hole in seconds, and if your systems have already been
>attacked, then he'll come back for another look at some time - or one of his
>friends will.

I use port 2222 on my system because I need to be able to access from my
notebook, and it's location and IP change with every connection.  It's not
perfect security; that's why I also use AllowGroups to specify which userids
can access via ssh and explicitly disallow root access.

By the way, I like Guarddog as a visual iptables manager.
--
  Steve