(no subject)

I'm attempting to set up Fedora Core 3 on my hp pavilion zt3101 (a model in the zt3000 family). It's a Pentium M system with the 802.11b Intel wireless card (full Centrino system) and a 15.2" widescreen display and CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux (installed it a few times, played with it every now and then but never used it as a primary operating system), and I'm having a few issues with getting set up. I've searched through the archives, but didn't see precisely what I was looking for, so I thought I'd turn to the kind folks on this list.

Everything installed all right. But I'm sure that my ignorance is what's causing me a few problems.

My LCD's resolution is 1280 x 800, but that's not an option listed in my Display system settings. I've set my video card to the proper card (ATI Radeon Mobility 9200), and set my display to Generic LCD Display 1280x800, but to no avail. Do I need to figure out precisely what brand of monitor HP has included with my laptop?

Also, how do I put the system to sleep so that I can safely close the lid and move it about? I've been able to get a nice little battery monitor to show up in the top corner, but that's about as much as I've been able to do. Double clicking it produces an error that '/usr/bin/apm -s' was unsuccessful. Eh?

I'm very new at Linux, but I'm pretty impressed so far. This is by far the most polished looking and usable Linux I've ever seen -- I never used to feel like I had any ownership over my computer when I tried previous releases, but I do now.

Any suggestions for a very newbie-friendly resource to walk me through all this sort of stuff?

Next I need to see if I can get my wireless card working.

Thanks in advance. I promise to get out of y'alls hair as soon as I get this stuff resolved. Thanks to all the contributors and the community who made this software possible.

Kirk