Re: Is a filesystem check really necessary?

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:40:44 -0800 (PST), Lin Tse Hsu <evfreek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.  I am having some problems with FC3 instability.
> I get a Linux BSOD after every hour or two of machine
> use.  This requires a power switch-off, since the
> computer is completely unresponsive to the keyboard,
> and the mouse pointer is either disappeared or frozen.
>
> Is it OK to forgo the offer to do a filesystem check
> as the computer is booting?  Just timing out and not
> typing in a "Y" saves some time and also one does not
> have to wait around as the computer is restarting.
> Would it be OK to never do the check, or maybe only do
> it every day or every N crashes (where N is maybe 8 or
> 10)?

The crash that you describe can be caused by using a kernel that
doesn't match your architecture.  I've seen random crashes as you
describe when using a i686 kernel on a k7 processor.

If you don't want to do the fsck, you need to give jfs, xfs, and/or
reiserfs a try.  You should be able to boot those at the install
prompt with "linux fs_type".

OT, you can also give the new Debian installers a try which lets you
choose your fs type on install.  As someone who "grew up" with RedHat
since the days when rpm was a perl script, and learned Debian trying
to install Woody, I can honestly say that the Sarge installers are
actually quite useable and will give the RedHat/FC installers a run
for its money.
--
Jiann-Ming Su