Is a filesystem check really necessary?

Hi.  I am having some problems with FC3 instability.
I get a Linux BSOD after every hour or two of machine
use.  This requires a power switch-off, since the
computer is completely unresponsive to the keyboard,
and the mouse pointer is either disappeared or frozen.

Is it OK to forgo the offer to do a filesystem check
as the computer is booting?  Just timing out and not
typing in a "Y" saves some time and also one does not
have to wait around as the computer is restarting.
Would it be OK to never do the check, or maybe only do
it every day or every N crashes (where N is maybe 8 or
10)?

Thanks.