Re: Newbie

Mehdi Bouhalassa wrote:
[root@iq mehdi]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /media/cdrecorder
mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist

Not working...

  :-(

It's so frustrating! I really want to switch to Fedora, but what's the point if I keep going back to XP?

its a learning process. don't try to get everything all at one time or you'll only end up so frustrated you don't want to bother any more. I would suggest to you that since there appear to be some unique quirks within Fedora Core 3 such as the ones that you, myself and others are attempting to work through, that it would be a real good idea to get your feet wet with either RedHat 9 or Fedora Core 2.

Actually, for stability and learning I would strongly recommend RedHat 9 which is very similar to Fedora Core is not the same minus some of the bells and whistles.

I've got RedHat 9 installed and running on an older PII 333 Toshiba laptop which was loaded and is using an external "USB" CDRW drive. I had absolutely no problem getting RH9 to recognize the drive, which was crucial since I performed a CD install once the machine was booted using a boot floppy. Getting the same to happen with Mandrake Linux, which has much better support for creating boot floppies across all their distro versions than Redhat was much more of an exercise because RH9's hardware support appears to be much more mature and stable for some odd-ball hardware configs.

I can almost guarantee that RH9 will correctly id all your hardware as it "really" is and properly set things up so that everything is usable. A good example of how well RH9 is put together is this:

This old laptop and the USB CDRW drive don't work well together with windows and Mandrake Linux functionality is spotty at best. However, since loading RH9 on this machine I have absolutely no trouble at all with running the machine continuously, and at the drop of a hat being able to plug the drive into the USB port and then being able to use the device. Just as its designed to be used. When I'm finished using the device I and easily unplug it from the USB port and go on about my business without the machine complaining in any way that something is missing. In short, RH9 recognizes perfectly that this is a removeable media device AND that by its nature as a USB device it will activate all drivers as soon as the device is introduced to the system by being hot-plugged into the port, mount the device and allow it to be used.

I have absolutely nothing but good to say about RedHat 9. Give it a try and I think once you've gotten your feet good and wet you'll have no trouble at all with FC3, but by that time FC4 might be out and you may not want to move away from RH9 anyway. ;)

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."