Re: usable window manager for FC3?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:33:58 -0500
James Ralston <qralston+ml.redhat-fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I see that in terms of window managers, FC3 dropped sawfish and added
> xfwm4.
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, this means that from my point of
> view, FC3 does not have a usable window manager.

For a long time now Fedora has been missing packages that I want to use.
Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not so good - it doesn't really
matter. But just because they're missing in Fedora Core doesn't mean
they're not available somewhere. In order of preference this is where
I'd look for any missing package:

1)	3rd party repos (e.g rpmforge, freshrpms, atrpms etc. or fedora.us
etc. depending on which leg of the trousers you want to jump down)

2)	Fedora Core 2 - maybe the old package still works

3)	rpmfind etc.

4)	package home page

5)	Rebuilding the SRPM from older Fedoras

> As far as I'm concerned, a usable window manager must support the
> following capabilities:
>
>     1.  GNOME-aware.
>
>     2.  The ability to bind events to keyboard/mouse combinations,
>         such as binding "Raise Window" to "Meta+MouseButton1".
>
>     3.  The ability to disable "raise on click" behavior.
>
>     4.  The ability to disable "raise on focus" behavior.

If sawfish is tighly coupled to gtk it's possible that none of my
suggestions will work (except the last and then with some effort), in
which case you might want to look at fvwm (fvwm.org). They supply rpms
which work on FC3 and it does all you ask for above.

Regards,

Chris