Re: Beginner question on PostgreSQL

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 00:09, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hey, everyone:
>
> I started my migration process from MySQL to PostgreSQL about two hours
> ago. I've installed the RPM packages (all relevant packages,
> 7.4.6-1.FC3.2 updated today), and I have also installed phpPgAdmin-3.5
> via their RPM package.
>
> Using the text-mode command-line clients, I have managed to create a
> database user "rpaiz" to go with my system user "rpaiz" and I have
> managed to create and access a database "flightlog" owned by that user,
> and as that user. So at least some of these things are working.
>
> However, I cannot seem to access the phpPgAdmin interface. The web page
> does come up properly, but I always get a "login denied" error. It does
> not matter whether I use the "rpaiz" user with no password or with my
> system password. It also does not matter whether I create the database
> user with no password or using the "-P -E" options to add and encrypt
> the password.
>
> Can anyone tell me which part of this I'm doing wrong? I'm reading
> through as many docs as I can as fast as I can, but this is frustrating.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I don't know phpPgAdmin, does it use unix sockets or tcp/ip to connect
to the database? I would guess that your problem is that it is using
tcp/ip and that you did not start postmaster with tcp/ip enabled.

In /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf uncomment the default
"tcpip_socket" and change it from false to true. Alternatively, put
"PGOPTS=-i" into /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postmaster. Either way, alter
/var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf to allow the user phpPgAdmin is connecting as
to connect.

Hope this helps.

Chris