Beginner question on PostgreSQL

Hey, everyone:

I started my migration process from MySQL to PostgreSQL about two hours
ago. I've installed the RPM packages (all relevant packages,
7.4.6-1.FC3.2 updated today), and I have also installed phpPgAdmin-3.5
via their RPM package.

Using the text-mode command-line clients, I have managed to create a
database user "rpaiz" to go with my system user "rpaiz" and I have
managed to create and access a database "flightlog" owned by that user,
and as that user. So at least some of these things are working.

However, I cannot seem to access the phpPgAdmin interface. The web page
does come up properly, but I always get a "login denied" error. It does
not matter whether I use the "rpaiz" user with no password or with my
system password. It also does not matter whether I create the database
user with no password or using the "-P -E" options to add and encrypt
the password.

Can anyone tell me which part of this I'm doing wrong? I'm reading
through as many docs as I can as fast as I can, but this is frustrating.

Thanks in advance,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>