FC3 unable to install on SATA drives?

I'm attempting to install FC3 on Dell Precision 470 workstations, and the installer dies while trying to probe the partition geometry. Something about an error in "disk_dos.c while running probe_partition_geometry()", or something very similar.

Using the onboard SATA controller. This happens both with the SATA bios enabled and disabled.

Unfortunately, no one at Dell can tell me which chipset makes up the SATA controller, or even which Intel m/board version is installed in this model. I do so love Dell support :-\

Current OS on the disk is RH9.

The FC2 installer can see the RH9 partitions correctly, and will offer to continue with the install, either upgrading or overwriting the current install. But I want ot install FC3.

Is this a known bug in the FC3 installer routines, or am I just lucky?

--
John Burk

Sr. Technical Director
Mainframe Entertainment