gThumb & Media Readers

I just picked up a nice 4 megapixel digital camera and a usb media
reader. I tried running gthumb to import some pictures from a memory
card, but I can't seem to get them to import.

I have the Sony P43 which seems to not be listed in supported types with
gthumb.

I ran tail /var/log/messages and I see the device get listed, and I can
mount it to, and connect to the /media/usbstick folder and view the
files.

Is there a way to import from a generic location, as opposed to a
specific camera to let me use the media reader with the different memory
cards?

How else does other people who work with pictures alot do it?

Thanks.

-=/>Thom