Re: editing fstab file ??

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 17:15 +0000, spamse wrote:
> > > i would like to mount my second hard drive
> > > it doesn't show up in the mnt folder
> > > any help would be great
> >
> > You need to create a folder under /mnt before mounting drive eg:
> > /mnt/disk2 and then you mount /dev/hdx /mnt/disk2
> >
> I have created a directory in /home that I have been manually mounting
> a shared fat32 drive to each time I boot. Would I be better off
> mounting it to a folder in /mnt?

"Better off" is subjective. It depends on what you want to achieve. If
you care about standards see:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

> Also, I added a line to /etc/fstab to mount the drive, as I wanted it
> to mount automatically on boot, but this line does not seem to get
> executed (I was following instructions from a Red Hat site). Is this
> the right place to be putting the mount statement?

If you want it mounted at system boot time, I can think of two reasons
right away why it won't happen. Except for the root partition,
partitions are mounted in the order in which they appear in fstab. So
for instance, if /home is a separate partition and it gets mounted after
your fat32 partition gets mounted, it won't work. Also, any partition
specified with option "noauto" will not get mounted during boot. Using
the "defaults" option does imply "auto".

If it's none of the above, have you tried looking
through /var/log/messages to see if any errors are showing up during
mounting partitions?

By the way, while this is related to the original question, I noticed
that you essentially hijacked an existing thread to ask a different
question.