Re: editing fstab file ??

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:45:33 -0500, C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > You need to create a folder under /mnt before mounting drive eg:
> > > /mnt/disk2 and then you mount /dev/hdx /mnt/disk2
> > >
> > I have created a directory in /home that I have been manually mounting
> > a shared fat32 drive to each time I boot. Would I be better off
> > mounting it to a folder in /mnt?
>
> "Better off" is subjective. It depends on what you want to achieve. If
> you care about standards see:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>
> > Also, I added a line to /etc/fstab to mount the drive, as I wanted it
> > to mount automatically on boot, but this line does not seem to get
> > executed (I was following instructions from a Red Hat site). Is this
> > the right place to be putting the mount statement?
>
> If you want it mounted at system boot time, I can think of two reasons
> right away why it won't happen. Except for the root partition,
> partitions are mounted in the order in which they appear in fstab. So
> for instance, if /home is a separate partition and it gets mounted after
> your fat32 partition gets mounted, it won't work. Also, any partition
> specified with option "noauto" will not get mounted during boot. Using
> the "defaults" option does imply "auto".
>
> If it's none of the above, have you tried looking
> through /var/log/messages to see if any errors are showing up during
> mounting partitions?
>
> By the way, while this is related to the original question, I noticed
> that you essentially hijacked an existing thread to ask a different
> question.

i tried to mount the hard drive and i get this message
[jim@My_World ~]$ mount /dev/hdb1
mount: can't find /dev/hdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
[jim@My_World ~]$

i opened the fstab file using
[jim@My_World ~]$ vi fstab

the file is empty
the man pages are making me more confused
or should i be opening ther fstab file under root ?