Re: laptop touchpad causing browser 'Back'??

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 14:04 -0800, Stephen Walton wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 16:34 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Stephen Walton wrote:
> > > But my real
> > > question is, what feature of Firefox causes it to go back pages when one
> > > accidentally touches a particular part of the touchpad, and which part
> > > of the touchpad is involved?
> >
> > - Horizontal scrolling (button six and seven events) through moving
> >   the finger on the lower side of the touchpad.
>
> Ah, thanks for that!  It turns out that "Shift+scroll" is a document
> mouse shortcut for going backwards through pages in Firefox.  Apparently
> horizontal touchpad scrolling works the same way.  So that's what we're
> all seeing.  I suppose that the only way to get rid of this with
> Synaptics would be to turn off touchpad scrolling.

If you want to keep horizontal scrolling in other programs but not
Firefox you could turn it off in Firefox:

type about:config in the url bar and change the following options:

 "mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action"    0

"mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines"    true

If you want to turn it off everywhere change this setting in xorg.conf:

"HorizScrollDelta" "0"

--
John Yanosko