Re: laptop touchpad causing browser 'Back'??

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Stephen Walton wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 11:04 -0800, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> > Sometimes when I'm browsing in
> > Firefox, when I move my finger on the touchpad, it
> > causes the browser to go back one or more screens.
> >
> > Anyone know if this could be a problem with
> >   * FC3?
> >   * touchpad?
> >   * Firefox?
>
> I have the same problem with my Compaq laptop and finally turned off the
> touchpad altogether and got a cordless USB mouse for serious browsing.
> I think this is a feature of Firefox which it is possible to
> accidentally access by touching the scroll portion of the touchpad, but
> I admit I haven't investigated further.
>
> [To forestall the obvious question:  My Compaq has an actual hardware
> on/off switch for the touchpad.]

Some machines have BIOS settings for this.

But the real issue is that in FC3, the full-featured synaptics touchpad
driver is included in the distro and the touchpad is detected at install
time.

For more information on configuring all the myriad driver options, see
'man synclient' and /usr/share/doc/synaptics-* (the README in particular).

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu