RE: Fedora Update RPMs

I've seen new soulutions and I will use it again.  I don't have my Linux box
online at the moment.

> As for sneakernet, if you're talking about burning CDs then
> just burn one with the RPMS you need. Again, they all have
> version numbers, if you
>   see two RPMS for the same program then use the newer version.

In the wee hours, tired old eyes can easily make mistakes.

> I can't see why that would be a big enough deal to justify
> modifying the directory structure.

I guess it's not that big a deal to others, but it sure bothers me.

I know bandwidth is of no concern to anyone, but consider how much is wasted
reading (manually or automatically) directories that contain an ever-growing
list of files that are of no interest to anyone or any program (rare
exceptions noted).  Don't forget how many GNU, Linux, and Perl mirrors and
archives are out there.  And consider disk space saved if the older versions
were kept on fewer mirrors--you might have more mirrors for the current
stuff.

I just can't understand the reluctance to clean house.  I'm no neat freak,
but the situation is analagous to not cleaning one's closet of unworn
clothes. And don't most people tidy their own digital work space and move
old stuff out of sight?  I sure do.

I'll shut up now and try to live with it (argh).

Tom Browder