Re: saving RAM questions

I suggested:

Matt Morgan wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea. It's an integrated graphics controller. Can
> you point me to how I can do this? I googled and got a hint that I
> might be able to configure something in the computer's BIOS settings,
> but couldn't find anything there. Any other method, like in xorg.conf?
> Thanks.

Sorry, I suppose I should have been clearer the first time round.

It's a BIOS setting. It affects how much memory gets reported to the
operating system, so it's pretty low-level. It's often referred to as
something like "VGA Memory Size" or "VGA Shared Memory Size".

It's done in slightly different ways on different BIOSes: can you give
us a clue? If they come from one of the four or so big manufacturers,
they may have a manufacturer BIOS. Otherwise, the BIOS is probably from
Award, American Megatrend (AMI), or Phoenix. Beyond that, the board
model might be helpful.

In the meantime, my own googling turned up these links:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20010725/bios_tuning-12.html#optional_feature_onboard_graphics
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=254

Good luck!

James.
--
E-mail address: james |    John's Inverse Law of Physics:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | You do Physics -- you get inverted.