Re: saving RAM questions

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:33:25 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suggested:
>
> > What sort of graphics do they have: separate graphics cards, or is the
> > graphics integrated into the chipset? In the latter case, make sure that
> > you only allocate the memory you need to the graphics subsystem: 1 to 4
> > MB, usually, depending on resolution.
>
> Matt Morgan wrote:
> > Sounds like a good idea. It's an integrated graphics controller. Can
> > you point me to how I can do this? I googled and got a hint that I
> > might be able to configure something in the computer's BIOS settings,
> > but couldn't find anything there. Any other method, like in xorg.conf?
> > Thanks.
>
> It's a BIOS setting. It affects how much memory gets reported to the
> operating system, so it's pretty low-level. It's often referred to as
> something like "VGA Memory Size" or "VGA Shared Memory Size".
>
> It's done in slightly different ways on different BIOSes: can you give
> us a clue? If they come from one of the four or so big manufacturers,
> they may have a manufacturer BIOS. Otherwise, the BIOS is probably from
> Award, American Megatrend (AMI), or Phoenix. Beyond that, the board
> model might be helpful.

Thanks! These are Compaq iPaqs, which are what Compaq sold as their
commodity business desktops prior to the HP buyout. They have some
Compaq-specific BIOS, and sadly, they don't have that option. They
hardly have any options, actually. I'll look for a BIOS update.

This does look like it would make a big difference, potentially; I
have a big monitor set to 1400x1050 and 32 bit color; even that
requires well under 8Mb.