Re: ATTN SELF-STYLED LIST POLICE (was RE: Mr. Day)

MJang wrote:
> This sort of begs the question - of the people who use text email
> readers, how many are older, more experienced Linux users? (in other
> words, if the rest of us bent a bit to accommodate them, perhaps they
> would be more motivated to provide better answers). It sounds like at
> least a few are stuck with text email readers on their systems.

Well, I've got Maildir folders, so this sort of question isn't too
difficult to answer. The November statistics showed versions of Mutt and
Pine being used: these were the only text-mode mailers in the top 25.

A one-liner for Mutt users:

[james@howells cur]$ ls | xargs grep User-Agent:\ Mutt | cut -d: -f1-2 | xargs egrep ^From:\

shows certain names cropping up a lot: me, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx, Dag
Wieers, Axel Thim, Nifty Hat Mitch, Tim Waugh, Dave Jones...

In fact, a script that claims to count e-mails from Red Hat employees
using their work account:

ls | xargs egrep '^From: .*@redhat\.com' | grep -v fedora-list-bounces | wc -l

gives 119 messages.

ls | xargs egrep '^From: .*@redhat\.com' | grep -v fedora-list-bounces | cut -d: -f1-2 | xargs grep 'User-Agent: Mutt' | wc -l

gives 74 messages. (In actual fact, there are one or two messages in
that 119 that shouldn't be there: Outlook Express tends to have