Re: Cosmetic shell changes between FC1 and FC3

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:34:03PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 07.12.2004 schrieb Alex Greg um 17:13:
>
> > I've recently migrated from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 3, and there
> > are a few small but irritating changes that I'd like to revert back to
> > the way they used to work:
>

> > 2) When in my home directory, the prompt reads:
> >
> > [testuser@desktop ~]$
> >
> > rather than:
> >
> > [testuser@desktop root]$
> >
> > as it used to in FC1. Is there any way to change this back?
>
> > -- Alex
>
> I would say this is a bash bug. The shell build-in prompt does no longer
> distinguish betwee \w and \W. See man bash -> prompting
>
>               \w     the  current  working  directory, with $HOME
> abbreviated with a tilde
>               \W     the basename of  the current  working  directory,
> with $HOME abbreviated with a tilde
>
> Would you mind to report it with bugzilla?

The bash author has this to say on his release notes for 3.0:
"kk. The `\W' prompt expansion now abbreviates $HOME as `~', like `\w'."
http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/NEWS

So, you may not like the new feature, but the author doesn't consider
that a bug.  To get the full pathname into the prompt, try something
like (according to the bash faq page):
PS1='$PWD$ '    # full pathname of current directory

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA