Cosmetic shell changes between FC1 and FC3

Hi,

I've recently migrated from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 3, and there are a few small but irritating changes that I'd like to revert back to the way they used to work:

1) The output columns from ls (1) are squashed together. While this might be useful for people who can only see 80 columns, I'm on a machine running X Windows at high resolution, so it's easier to read if there's more whitespace between the columns. I believe this change was made in an update to coreutils in Fedora Core 1?

2) When in my home directory, the prompt reads:

[testuser@desktop ~]$

rather than:

[testuser@desktop root]$

as it used to in FC1. Is there any way to change this back?

Regards,

-- Alex