Re: dovecot to serve home LAN

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:00:09 +0100
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Di, den 07.12.2004 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 3:19:
>
> > At present I get email directly on my laptop
> > in /var/spool/mail/* through uucp.
> > I'd like to get the email on the same directory
> > on my desktop (alfred), and then run a mail server on the destop
> > and collect the email on my laptop (william)
> > (or on other computers on my two little home LANs, ethernet and
> > WiFi).
>

> > I am able to access my desktop with telnet from my laptop:
> > [tim@william ~]$ telnet alfred 143
> > Trying 192.168.1.1...
> > Connected to alfred.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > * OK dovecot ready.
>
> So the IMAP server runs.
>
> > Unfortunately, neither fetchmail not KMail on my laptop
> > seem able to retrieve mail from my desktop.
> >
> > With fetchmail I get the error message:
> > [tim@william ~]$ fetchmail alfred
> > fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost.localdomain !=
> > alfred fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost.localdomain
> > != alfred
>
> This would indicate certificate usage.

In which case you could add this line to dovecot.conf:
ssl_disable = yes

Dovecot writes its messages to /var/log/maillog. You could  try to
telnet to port 143 and try a conversation like this:

telnet alfred 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED NAMESPACE AUTH=PLAIN
1 OK Capability completed.
2 LOGIN tim whatever
2 OK Logged in.

If you get this far then dovecot is working.

Regards,

Chris