Re: Environmental disaster

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 15:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

I was going to reply off-list to Gene, but the likelihood is some others will
be interested too. Let's not have a big discussion about it tho.

> >tourist pics: http://environmental.disaster.cds.merseine.nu/
>
> I looked at that link above, but it needs explanatory text/captions
> to clarify what it is we are looking at, or at least I'd like them.

Port Geographe is a beach a little east of Busselton. A few years ago I used
to swim and fish along that beach. Even 2003.

The first pics were Feb 2004. There's a canal delopment (you can see it) that
has destroyed the natural flow of water. Now there's all that weed build-up
and it doesn't clear, so there's the dredge and tracked vehicles deployed to
clean it up.

Weed build up is normal along beaches here, in winter, and some of the fish
depend on the maggots that breed in it. However, it's normally cleared ell
before summer.

Those were the first pics I took with my camera; I created the "album" by
plugging the camera into my Powerbook which automatically started iPhoto, and
_that_ can publish the album by a few mouse-clicks.

Ubuntu pops up gtk-thumb which happens not to work with my camera (no Linux
software does, properly); Fedora/Nahant (I forget which) makes a mount point
for a USB disk. Both Ubuntu and FC use Gnome 2.8 so if some FC developers
take a look at U they can see how it's done:-)

I first used that sig line on a Debian list, and in less than four hours from
creation I had my first hit.

The whois command revealed that Microsoft owns the client IP address.

I agree that some commentary would be beneficial:-)

--

Cheers
John Summerfield