Re: Ditching FC3... for now =(

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Lotsa Cabo wrote:

<reordering a bit>

> According to what I have found on RedHat's site (through the help of
> a few folks in here), I COULD switch out the kernel with an earlier
> version from some other source.

Did you try the 'clock=pit' boot option - from this reference?. Did it
not make a difference?

BTW: I don't think there was a mention of an earlier kernel-version.

> The current kernels with FC3 have a clock issue with VMWare.  They
> request clock ticks too often (10 times as often) and VMWare
> basically bogs down to a snails pace.  It took over THREE hours for
> it to come up today.

If the 1000Hz -> 100Hz is the only thing you need - just rebuild the
FC3 kenel with it.

I hope you read the links pointed to earlier (vmware tips). Another
related URL - with a hint (not sure if its related issue but..)

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/11/26/257
  - Configurable 100/1Khz clock for x86          (James Bottomley)
    | 100Hz is great for battery life
  - Fix xtime adjustment error that could cause (Andrew Morton)
    clock slew

Satish