RE: Ditching FC3... for now =(

Did you try the 'clock=pit' boot option - from this reference?. Did it not
make a difference?

--> No, I have not tried it because I cannot get the OS up, and work with
it, well enough to make the change.  If it takes over three hours for it to
boot, then working in the OS is going to be muuuuuch too painful to make a
change while it's up.

BTW: I don't think there was a mention of an earlier kernel-version.

--> There was; on RedHat's site.  In fact, that's he same page where I
learned about the clock tick issue.

If the 1000Hz -> 100Hz is the only thing you need - just rebuild the
FC3 kenel with it.

--> Uh huh.  I've looked for idiot-proof instructions as to how to do this,
but have not been successful.  The few times I've asked how, on this list,
I've gotten pointed back to the same instructions that I did not clearly
understand.  Hence, the reason I was going to follow the "semi-idiot-proof"
instructions of installing the RPM for the older kernel... that I could do.
Remember, I'm a newbie.  Sorry.

I hope you read the links pointed to earlier (vmware tips). Another related
URL - with a hint (not sure if its related issue but..)

--> I did.  I've tried changing DMA settings, and everything else.  The last
recommendation was rebuilding the kernel.  Unfortunately... well... see the
note above.

R/S
Fred