Re: Ditching FC3... for now =(

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:46:37 -0500, Lotsa Cabo <lotsacabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have you considered forgetting about VMWare entirely and using a Dual-Boot
> setup instead?
>
> --> Unfortunately, dual booting is not an option.  As I mentioned in my
> original message, I have to be both comfortable and productive on Linux
> before I can install on my physical drive.  I've seen too many issues with
> XP and FC3 being on the same drive and I cannot afford to go down that road;
> especially since my income comes from the work I do on WinXP.  Also, I am
> confident that I will end up learning things in FC3 and want to do a
> reinstall just to "redo it right" versus what I will do during my first
> install.
>
> R/S
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I don't understand why you say dual booting is not an option.  I have
not had any issues with my two dual boot boxes.  One I upgraded to FC3
and the other still has FC2 on it (have not had time to upgrade yet).
What issues are you referring to?  The biggest problem is
repartitioning the hard disk if you cannot add a second one and your
current is not setup for dual boot.  Once this is done, you can do
whatever you want to the Linux install, including reinstalling,
without bothering the WinXP partition.  It's like having two computers
in one.  For the repartitioning, I recommend System Rescue CD
http://www.sysresccd.org/  It's a live CD that has QtParted which can
resize an NTFS partition and do the other needed partitioning if you
want.  It has worked great for me; I have resized my laptop's XP
partition twice (didn't get quite enough space the first time.  Of
course, you need the disk space and be sure to defragment your drive
(and possibly turn off your swap file) to move things up to the front
of the drive.
If you just really want to try out Linux with the VMWare, then I'd
recommend SuSE to try out; I believe they are still using the 2.4
kernel which should have the old timing.  Things have changed a little
with them, but I think you can download a single CD distro for free,
or do an FTP install for free.

Jonathan