Re: FC3 stable enough for production web server?

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:18:19AM -0500, Jeff McKeon wrote:
> > > Is FC3 stable enough to run a php website in a production site?
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > FC3 should run everything you list just fine.  However, you
> > must ask yourself if the short life cycle of each Fedora
> > release is adequate?  For most serious business applications
> > the answer is, it isn't.
> >
> > Red Hat has some products that are more appropriate for
> > business use.  You might also want to look at SUSE since they
> > have some well supported products in the lower price range.
> >
> Sean, yes I'm aware of the shorter lifecycle.  How is the reliability of
> upgrading Fedora systems when a new core comes out?  Fairly painless or
> a lot of reconfiguring?
>
> We're a startup company with a very tight budget.  If I can avoid
> spending money on an OS it helps a lot.

My recommendation is that if you need a stable production environment
but no support (since you're not getting any with Fedora), you should
look at a RHEL clone like Tao Linux.  This works flawlessly, gives you
rapid access to security patches, and has the lengthy lifecycle.

http://www.taolinux.org/

It's important to note that the goals of Fedora specifically and
intentionally do not include production use.  It's a leading edge
distribution for those who want the latest software in a short period of
time.  There is absolutely no guarantee of binary compability between
any releases or patches and you could be in for major upgrades once FC4
comes out in a few months.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA