Re: sendmail on a laptop

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 12:08, Trevor Smith wrote:
> I haven't tried this at school yet, when I have traditionially had to use
> mail.haligonian.com but I'm guessing that when I'm there, sympatico will
> deny me use to their servers.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on a simple, no manual intervention way to send
> email from a laptop regardless of network that I'm attached to?

I've found openvpn easy to set up and configure. See openvpn.sf.net.

That can give you the appearance of being on your (chosen) LAN from anywhere
in the world and provides secure a connexion for all data trasnfers.

Another possibility is not to use sendmail at all. Something like this should
do what you want:

ssh -L25:mail.example.com:25 \
 -L143:mail.example.com:143 \
 TrevorSmith.homelinux.org

This requires outgoing ssh from wherever you are, and incoming ssh at home.
I'll leave you to read the man page to discover what this does and what other
options you might want. Like the first case, it provides a secure connexion.

If you prefer the vpn but have trouble with firewalls, you may be able to
runnel the vpn through ssh.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield