Re: sendmail on a laptop

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 12:55, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On December 1, 2004 12:37 am, Ernie McCracken wrote:
> > For awhile, I just used sendmail to deliver mail directly.  Then I found
> > that some of my mail was bouncing because ISPs had deemed my IP address
> > was part of a block of DHCP-assigned IP addresses.  This was presumably
> > done to keep spammers and virus-infected machines from sending mail
> > directly from their PC.
>
> OK, this suggests a few questions to me:
>
> 1. it appears you are saying that sending directly through my localhost's
> sendmail *will* work from different networks. Was that what you found? (I
> haven't tested yet.)

Depending on whether that particular network already has their IP
blacklsited.

> 2. Assuming yes to #1 above, was it sending through sendmail that was causing
> people to blacklist you?
Not really. Just that in the internet, ppl are using those kinds of
methods as a way to send out spam.

> I don't quite understand the technology involved
> well enough to see how this would be a problem.

It's a problem because a lot of ppl do not sufficiently protect their sendmail/
PC enough to actually not make it open to the world.