Re: About VNC

William Hooper wrote:
redirect said:
[snip]

Yup, if your vncserver is running on :1, for example, you may access
the viewer via a java-enabled web browser at http://<hostname or ip
address>:5801. Note, that, in this case, port 5801 must be open on your
firewall. For testing purposes, you may want to try all this on
localhost just to see if it works without fussing with the firewalls.

I didn't know you could do that :-) If you wanted to do that remotely -- then all you would have to do is create a ssh tunnel for the browser -- right ??

No, you need to create a tunnel for both the HTTP server (5801) and for the RFB (5901). The only thing you get from the HTTP server is the java viewer. The java viewer still needs to be able to talk back to the VNC server.

This piqued my curiously and I just skimmed a few vnc* man pages.

With some creative hacking & redirection -- can I allow a windowz java enabled browser as a vnc-client into my FC3 box using existing ports and services?

I'm thinking about (apache+enabled home directories) handle the HTTP portion through :443 & ssh handle the RFB ??

can I do this with a shell script & few config files -- or do I have go deeper ??
---
The short answer would be great -- I'm not going to waste my time if I can't make this work with a shell script.