Re: OT: fighting rbl's

HaJo Schatz wrote:

On Tue, November 30, 2004 12:18, Thomas Zehetbauer said:

I have been repeatedly affected by RBL providers incorrectly listing my
static IP address in their dial-up ranges causing my messages to be
rejected by the servers of several clueless wannabe administrators.

I'd in the first instance ask myself why my IP got into their list. You wouldn't have had your server open for public relay in the past (or still), would you? I believe tackling the root cause should be the first step.

One primary "root cause" has nothing to do with the activities of the system. The original poster mentioned he was on a dialup line, which implies dynamic IP addresses. Many BL providers simply black list dynamic IP addresses as a rule (since much spam does originate from dynamic IP addresses). For this type of setup, its best to use the mail server for the ISP...

John