Re: Contributing code to open-source in EU?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:23:32 +0000, Francis Stevens
<francis.stevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrei Nestor wrote:

> >>I dunno, I asked one of my managers and he told me there is one. I am
> >>from India working in Ireland, so I don't know much about the
> >>laws/legislations here.
> >>

> > I think you'd better start reading the relevant law/laws, because it's
> > in your best interest. I find it rather unlikely for such a law to
> > exist, but you can ask your manager what law he is referring to. I bet
> > he'll be unable to answer that. it's more likely though, like somebody
> > said earlier, that you signed an agreement when you were hired. many
> > companies do that, including my own :(
> >

> Normally these restrictions are placed on any "work" you do in relation
> to your employment, i.e. if you work on a project (for your employer) in
> your own time at home it still belongs to your employer. They wouldn't
> normally apply to something you do in your own time using your own
> resources that is not related to your employment - though I'm not a
> lawyer...
>
> FAS

Although in the IT business unfortunately, any open-source project you
might engage in outside your normal working time could be considered
work-related. There are chances, however, that the agreement you
signed says something like "unless written management approval is
obtained". If this is the case, you're in luck, as your manager could
give you that approval, especially if you're planning to work on a
smaller or harder-to-relate- to-your-actual-line-of-business project.
hope that makes sense.

--
andrei

P.S.: OS/400 Rulez.