Re: Subject: Re: DVD Player

(Top-post snipped & pasted below)

Jay Scherrer wrote:

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 12:38 am, Scott wrote:

I'm curious....

Who do the commercial distros pay to include such software?

Well, I'm not aware of any major distro right now shipping a legal dvd-player. The only and first one was TurboLinux a few months ago shipping CyberLink PowerDVD.

Soon after that, HP started selling their Linux laptop (which comes
with SUSE) and it had LinDVD on it.  Note: the SUSE distro does not
come with LinDVD. This was mainly an HP & Intervideo arrengement
(it seems).

Right now, you can't buy LinDVD or PowerDVD. They're just doing
business with OEM's.

So..asking your question, these distros may pay the company that
produces the dvd player...and these dvd companies may pay the
technology owners...

HTH
Jorge

> My DVD payer works great with xcdroast and  FC1. Only after Fedora's
> kernel went 2.6, then it broke. X-CD-Roast is a great CD/DVD
> authoring  tool. And Jörg Schilling had renewed his free ProDVD-key
> till March 5th 2005. But since the kernel upgrade, something went
> wrong. Xcdroast had been a major package until kernel 2.6.
> Here is what <http://xcdroast.org> has to say: "Linux Kernel 2.6.8
> broke CD-Writing:
> I had several reports that the last 2.6.x kernel broke CD-Writing
> using the ATAPI driver. Don't update if you want to continue to use
> X-CD-Roast, or switch back to SCSI-emulation."
>
> How do we request  a response to fix this?
> Jay Scherrer
>
> On Monday 29 November 2004 09:43 pm, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

Maybe it's just too early and maybe I'm dense full time but I really fail to see the connection between DVD players and Xcdroast. Getting beyond that, though, I'm currently running Fedora Core Release 3
rj@mavis ~]$ uname -a
Linux mavis.localdomain 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
and I wrote (and verified) a DVD using Xcdroast just yesterday. Yes, I remember seeing something about 2.6.8 kernels having problems and there is a possibility that future kernels will, too. All I can say is that if you absolutely, definitely, positively MUST write a DVD any time the notion hits you, you really need to be dual booting with FC1 or some other static distribution.