Re: Mail server upgrade

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 00:33, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:

> I use TDMA for spam control now but would love to hear opinions on why I
> should either keep TDMA or switch to spamassasin from those who have
> faced that decision.

I would recommend you implement greylisting in addition to either TDMA
or spamassassin.  I started out using spamassassin which worked very
well.  But I found that it still cost considerable time reviewing tagged
messages for false positives.  As such I implemented greylisting which
reduced the number of spam messages from 3000 to 6000 a day to 5 to 10 a
day.  It worked so well that virtually no time is spent on spam
anymore.  I used sendmail with the milter-greylist milter.  There are
several different versions out there with different features.  I liked
the milter-greylist implementation since it used a berkely DB instead of
a MYSQL which a different package used.  That seemed to be over kill
IMHO.

It probably depends on the volume of email you are handling and if you
need to implement fail overs and other things.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

... I'm IMAGINING a sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING in the BACK ROOM
of a KOSHER DELI --