Re: Problems with Fedora and cable modem

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:51:19 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a problem with my Fedora box and cable modem.  I'm not sure if
> the problem is on my side, or ISP side (Shaw cable).  Of course, ISP
> claims it is not them, what else would you expect ;-)
>
> Basically, what happens is that dhclient obtains IP address for my
> external interface.  Than everything works fine for some period of time
> (less than a half an hour), and after that I loose all Internet
> connectivity.  If i restart dhclient (for example using "ifdown eth0;
> ifup eth0"), my PC gets IP address reassigned (in my case, I'm always
> getting same address, 24.79.220.4), everything works for a while, and
> than it stops again.
>
> Something like this happened about a month ago, and restarting the
> interface solved the problem.  Yesterday it started to happen again, but
> this time restarting the interface solves the problem for about a half
> an hour, and than there it is again...
>
> I have two more interfaces on this Linux box.  One is toward my internal
> network, and another is toward DMZ.  Those two have static IP addresses,
> and everything seems to be working fine with those two.
>
> What I have observed when this happens, is that I can sometimes ping the
> router on ISP side (24.79.220.1), but nothing else.  Sometimes.
> Sometimes ping to ISP router doesn't work at all, or works partially
> with large percentage of lost packets (95-99% range).
>
> Anybody else had similar problem?
>
> --
> Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited
> Systems Administrator                           1499 Buffalo Place
> Tel: (204) 474-2323 ext 276                     Winnipeg, MB  R3T 1L7

I have had problems like this where you go back and forth and the ISP
says everything is perfect on their end.  I had to call them
repeatedly but eventually they said that there was 20% packet loss!
They wound up resetting their router, also the tech came out and put
me on a shorter length cable.  Not sure if attenuation is a factor,
but I was on about a 50' cable prior to that and after all of this, I
don't have the problem anymore, so I am not sure of the fix in this
case.  I do know it had nothing to do with the OS.  I have had zero
problems with dhcp on any fedora

Marc