Re: 2 DNS, one machine

Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Bruce um 16:29:

> My sincere thanks to everyone for your helpful pointers. I've got a
> much better grasp of how to approach this but I'm still a little
> unclear about a couple of things. It looks like I can set up a router
> on the box to handle NAT which resolves internal and external IP
> addresses. The internal IP addresses should be like 192.168.0.x.
> But is that all I need? Do I need to give different computers different
> names? They can't all be local.localhost, right? Does that mean I need
> a DNS?

"localhost" is no valid network hostname. It is very trivial (with each
OS) to give the host a specific name. Naming schemes are very different
and a matter of admin's taste. Give them names you you quickly know
which one is which physically which host.

You can setup a DHCP server which gives each hosts it's IP more or less
dynamically. Or if you prefer to be sure which IP a host has, then set
up your local DNS zone with your DNS server.

But if we are speaking about a 33 hosts local net, then running your own
DNS might be too much and it is ok to have the IP <--> hostname mappings
set in each host's /etc/hosts file. Your NAT gateway does not need to
run as DNS for your local network to be able to serve as a constant or
occasional internet gateway. Using the ISP's DNS server addresses is
sufficient. While running your own DNS could improve speed for LAN hosts
when browsing and using the internet. Especially helpful can be to run a
proxy cache like squid.

> What I'm trying to do is set up a small home network to teach myself
> some things like networks, firewalls, iptables, etc. and the box I'm
> setting up now is many of these functions as possible and as an
> Oracle server. It's asking a lot of 1 box but I'm not looking for
> performance.

> Bruce

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:08:09 up 9 days, 12:55, load average: 0.42, 0.34, 0.35