Re: LCD Monitors and Fedora

As I recall, nVIDIA has pre-built drivers for most distributions. I think that some are included, and if it can't find one that it is included, it attempts to download the appropriate driver from the web server. It uses compilation as a last resort. You're probably ahead of their game every time that you download the package.

Peace,
William

Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:

nv didn't do it at all for me... I downloaded the kernel source and with the Driver tool on their site ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6629.html ) it compiled the nvidia driver for me.

The hassle is everytime you upgrade kernels, you need to redo this process. I've been doing it for since RedHat 7.3 and way too many kernels! :-)

Every so often (like this time) you need to update their tool. I was getting the error it could not find the kernel source. And then I updated the tool and it compiled no problem. Well one warnnig abouf not being compatible with another driver in the kernel vesatab or something like that. I looked and I did not see it loaded so I ignored that warning.

Mike

William M. Quarles wrote:

Mike

Just curious, are you using the official nVIDIA DRI-ish drivers, or just the generic nv server?

Peace,
William