Re: Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:58:44AM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Just because something gets merged into Linus' kernel, does not
> > mean that it is mandated as some 'standard'. If this were true
> > we'd all be using horrors like devfs now.
> Hasn't devfs been replaced by udev?

Exactly. :)

> > Contrary to popular opinion, sometimes, Linus gets things wrong.
> I don't think Torvalds is either right or wrong in this case.
> /boot and /proc seem to me equally good places to store the config file.
> But that being so, I don't see the point of Fedora doing things differently.

The file in /boot is just that -- a file. In /proc, however, it's actually
held in kernel memory and just displayed as a file. It's not very big, but
it's a relatively pointless waste of RAM _constantly_ for something looked
at very rarely (in the big picture). Fedora's not really doing things
"differently" -- just chosing one of several options, and it seems like a
pretty sensible choice to me.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>