Re: Multibooting

Paul Howarth wrote:

Satish Balay wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Paul Howarth wrote:

Satish Balay wrote:

An alternative way to install - where no manual intervention is
required is to have a common '/boot' partition for all OSes - this way
there is also a common /boot/grub/grub.conf.

So, if you update FC3 kernel - the correct grub.conf is updated.
And if you update RHL9 kernel - the correct grub.conf is updated.

Wouldn't this cause problems:

1. because there would have to be two "template" boot entries, one for each
OS, and grubby might have trouble figuring out which one to use?

Nope - the 'root' parameter will be different for each OS. (and different partitions on the disk. Only /boot - a separate patition is common)

Supposing the composite grub.conf looks like this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.3_FC2)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.3_FC2.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/1
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img

So, when a new kernel is to be added, how does grubby know whether to add an entry with "root=LABEL=/" or "root=LABEL=/1"?

Paul.

I agree with Paul. You CAN use just one grub.conf file, but if a new version of the kernel is installed for a 2nd (or 3rd) Linux partition, then the grub.conf file needs to be manually updated. At least, that's the case with my own configuration.

In my environment, I have 3 versions of Linux, each with their own boot partition. My bootloader in in the MBR. I loaded the bootloader with the 1st Linux install, and for subsequent installations I selected NO bootloader. (This is not the only way to do this. But, it's my current configuration). However, by doing this, whenever a new kernel is installed in my 2nd or 3rd versions of Linux, I need to manually modify grub.conf in hda1

As noted...not the only way, but the one I settled on.

Regards...Terry