Re: Multibooting

Terry Linhardt wrote:
I agree with Paul. You CAN use just one grub.conf file, but if a new version of the kernel is installed for a 2nd (or 3rd) Linux partition, then the grub.conf file needs to be manually updated. At least, that's the case with my own configuration.

In my environment, I have 3 versions of Linux, each with their own boot partition. My bootloader in in the MBR. I loaded the bootloader with the 1st Linux install, and for subsequent installations I selected NO bootloader. (This is not the only way to do this. But, it's my current configuration). However, by doing this, whenever a new kernel is installed in my 2nd or 3rd versions of Linux, I need to manually modify grub.conf in hda1

As noted...not the only way, but the one I settled on.

As I mentioned much earlier in the thread, a way of avoiding having to do the manual edits is to have the 2nd and subsequent Linux installs put grub in the first sector of their root/boot partitions and then use the 1st Linux grub to chainload grub for the other installs. Once set up, this "just works" and no further manual edits are needed after kernel updates.

This could be done in addition to making manual edits to the "master" grub.conf, for a "best of both" solution.

Paul.