Re: KMail - can I collect mail from machine on LAN?

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:30, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I certainly could "ssh -Y" into my desktop,
> run KMail on the desktop and read it on my laptop.
> I take it that is the suggestion?

Correct.  This will let you run whatever email application you want.

> But I'd prefer to get the email transferred to my laptp if possible.
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that the simplest way to get what I want
> (which may seem a bit strange)
> is to run an IMAP or POP3 server on the desktop.
> I had sort of hoped I could just give a "local" address in KMail -
> something like 192.168.1.1://var/spool/mail -
> but it seems that is wishful thinking.

Actually that is what I would have suggested but in your original post
you indicated you did not want to run an IMAP or pop3 server on the
desktop.

If you do use pop3 (and I think the same holds true for IMAP) will want
to implement SASL (I think that is correct) or some other secure method
for authentication.  Plain passwords are sent in the clear for pop3.
And if you are using wireless that means anyone can see them.  If you
implement WEP that will keep most people from seeing them but someone
with enough time and kismet will get to see them.  That is one reason I
like using ssh as well as WEP.  Much harder for someone to sniff for
passwords or contents of email as it moves over the wireless connection.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Let the people think they govern and they will be governed.
		-- William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania