Re: KMail - can I collect mail from machine on LAN?

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 08:56, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Brian Richardson wrote:
>
> >> My question is: I am running KMail on my laptop.
> >> Currently I look for mail in /var/spool/mail .
> >> Is there any way I could look for mail on my desktop,
> >> ie on a remote machine,
> >> without running an IMAP server or something like that
> >> on the desktop?

You can try what I have setup.  I have a desktop system that contains my
mailbox accounts.  From my laptop I use ssh to connect to the desktop
and run evolution.  The display is sent to the laptop.  I expect kmail
can be used the same way.

Doing this lets me access my email from any system.  I even use this
while traveling.  ssh provides the added benefit of encrypting
everything. So if I use wifi to my laptop no problem, if I get to it
over the Internet no problem.

Enable compression in ssh, that helps.  Otherwise just make sure you
have a broadband type connection.  I don't think this option would work
well over dial up.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?