RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 9, Issue 335

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:01:52 +0100
From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [fedora] moving users/groups
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Am So, den 21.11.2004 schrieb Øyvind Lode um 12:04:

> i'm planning to reinstall my fedora server.
> i'm now running fc1 on this server and i'm gonna delete that
> installation and install fc3.

> if i bakup /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow and
> after installing fc3 copies these files to the new server will i then
> have all the users (with their passwords) on the new server?

> something tells me that this won't work since i use md5 encrypted
> passwords (shadow)...
>
> øyvind

It works perfectly. Just be aware to only get those accounts from the
backuped password/group files which are user accounts. Don't simply copy the
old files in total over the ones on the new system. The md5 encryption is no
problem. As said, moving the account data with these files does what you
want.

Alexander

I'm a little confused...

I'm not sure that I'm following you here...

I have just backed up /home to a file called user_data.tar usering # tar cf
/tmp/user_data .
This command produced a file called user_data.tar that got all user data in
/home.

I then just planned copying this file to the new server when it's installed
and just extract it in /home with # tar xfp user_data.tar

I have no backup of the password/group files so I just planned to copy these
files and owerwrite the files on the newly installed server just like I will
do with the config files.

So I just thought to transer the user_data.tar and the /etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow to a temp host via ftp and then
transer them to the new server and extract the tar file holding the users
data in /home and then owerwrite the /etc passwd/group files with the ones I
have kept from the old server.

What is it that i'm not getting here?