RE: Recommended sizes for file system

> On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 11:50 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> > On Saturday 20 November 2004 17:41, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > My question is what are the best partition sizes I should adopt,
> >
> > If it works, one big partition, swap to a file.
> >
> > If your hardware is pickly about where it loads the kernel
> from, then /boot of
> > 100 Mb ((or whatever fc docs say).
> >
> > Swap to a file, not to a partition.
>
> I agree about the partitioning. The habit of splitting things into
> various partitions came from large multi-user systems where it has
> definite advantages.

The only reason I could think of for splitting partitions is to preserve
user data in the event of a fresh installation.  It is convenient to be able
to wipe out the / partition and install fresh while leaving partitions like
/home alone.

That being said, I've never done it myself because running out of space is a
worse problem in my opinion.

> About swapping I am not so sure. In the old days a swap partition was
> specially formatted and swap I/O avoided the standard disk drivers and
> gained quite a bit of efficiency. I do not know if this is still the
> case.

I notice that automatic partitioning will give you a swap partition that is
twice the size of physical memory, more or less.  That "twice the amount of
RAM" is my rule of thumb; if disk space is at a premium keep swap at least
as large as physical memory.  Since the system has to be able to move a
process's entire working set of memory pages to swap space, too little swap
limits the size of a process in memory to less than what it otherwise could
be.

Erik