Re: DVD burning in Core 3 with TDK IndiDVD

On Friday 19 November 2004 12:00, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Today 12:00:48
>
> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:23 -0700, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a TDK IndiDVD CD/DVD writer (1280B) which won't write DVDs
> > properly in Core 3.
> >
> > FWIW, all available updates have been applied.
> >
> > It WILL burn CDs just fine, but when I burn a DVD, no DVD reader of mine
> > (including the aforementioned burner) can read it.
>
> Have you tried different DVD media?  We have seen this type of problem,
> even with name-brand, with some batches of DVD-R media.

I thought of telling him to use DVD- meda, but then when I saw he couldn't
read in in the same drive I decided it was a different problem.

For the record, here's the position as I understand it.
DVD+R and DRV-R are write once.
DVD+RW and DVD-RW can be written 1000 or so times.
DVDs are not CDs and you need different programs two write DVDs though DVD
burners ca also burn CDs.
cdrecord does not burn DVD (but there might be a version with "inofficial"
patches that does).
growisofs does burn DVDs but not CDs.
growisofs currently can blank and write DVD+RW in one operation. But not
DVD-RW.
There are no CD+ media:-)
DVD+ media can be written in packet mode or some such. I don't know zactly
what that means butI suspect the kernel can do it.
DVD- media cannot be written that way.
DVD- media are more compatible with older DVD drives. I had a nasty shock when
I burned my first DVD+ disk and couldn't read it in my Powerbook 17" or in
the DVD-ROM drive I had the foresight to buy "just in case" qhen I acquired
my Athlon.
AFAIK "dual layer" applies only to DVD+R media. I've not yet see dual-layer
DVD+RW and don't expect to see dual layer DVD- for a while (different
standards group).

Finally
DVD-RAM are entirely different. I've not yet ysed one, but I think they
compete with Jaz and such.

Oh, finally finally
Specs on my DVD burner say it reads CDs at about 5 Mbytes/sec, DVDs at about
20. If you want to read a CD often, consider burning the image to DVD
instead.

Finally finally finally:-)
Eyeball your media. Especially if you buy at one of this islands in a shopping
mall. I saw a strange-looking scratch on the back of one of my newly-burned
DVDs. It looked like a a head or similar gouged it.

I inspected the next DVD after I removed the wrapping and it looked like it
had been dropped on its edge; it was delaminating. I reckon inserting that
disk would have been followed up bu the purchase of a new burner, and the one
I have is new enough to support dual layer.

Now, if someone wants to use this as the basis if a WIKI go for it. Just
mention "John Summerfield was here."

--
Cheers
John