Re: Grub issues

> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 05:15 -0700, Jesse Hannah wrote:
>> I have kind of a unique situation right now, and am hoping someone
>> here can help. On my computer I have (had) a dual-boot system, with
>> two hard drives and the Grub bootloader: one drive has Windows XP, the
>> other had FC2. Yesterday I tried to upgrade to FC3, but whenever I'd
>> try to do so I'd get an error saying that it couldn't transfer the
>> install image to the hard drive. This was after it'd formatted that
>> drive, so I tried to go back and reinstall FC2, but got the same
>> error.
>>
>> Here's where my problem starts. I tried to reboot and go into XP to
>> re-format that drive to FAT or something to try to fix the problem,
>> but the Grub GUI was gone, and I got the command line interface. I
>> thought this might be because of the other drive, so I removed it
>> (leaving my XP drive in) and tried again, but this time I got a Grub
>> drive error. What I think that's from is that on my main (XP) drive,
>> there's something that calls Grub from what was the second (FC) drive,
>> but that drive isn't there.
>>
>> So now I'm stuck: I can't reinstall FC until I fix the drive I was
>> using or get a new one, and I can't boot into Windows (where all my
>> stuff is) until I do that. Does anyone know how I can fix this, either
>> via the Grub command line or by modifying something from a Live CD (I
>> have Slax 4.2.0 and Knoppix 3.6)?
>> --
>> Jesse (JB) Hannah
>>

> If you can get to a grub commandline again
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> hd0 is your first ATA disk, hd1 the second and so on
> 0 is the first partition, 1 the second etc.
> You might have to fiddle with the drive and partition selections
>
> Once you find your XP partition
> chainloader +1
>
> I don't recall whether you need to say
> boot
>
> You can also use the help command, there's find to find files (helps
> verify you're looking at the right disk).
> grub> root (hd0,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> grub> find /config-2.6.8-1.528.2.10
>  (hd0,0)
>
> grub> help cat
> cat: cat FILE
>     Print the contents of the file FILE.
>
> grub>
>
> If you can't get a grub promp0t, boot your install CD in rescue mode or
> use a FC rescue disk.
>
> At worst I'll email you a grub floppy you can write to a real floppy
> with rawrite (which should be on your CD).

if i understood right, you formatted your harddrive (which must be /dev/hdb or so..), so your kernel-images and so in
/boot are gone :-( you can try booting with knoppix and fdisk your old linux-partitions on the harddisk, this would
make a clean harddisk. format it afterwards directly, with mke2fs (or so...), this made once recognizing my disks
again after a freebsd install.

HTH
Roger

Roger