Re: How to share a common partition as home

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 13:44 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I try different distros of Linux on different partitions from time to
> time. I want to move all my /home folders to a common partition so that
> across all distros I can share it by mounting on home. When I implemented
> it,I faced a problem. users do not get write permission on this  partition
> in spite of specific option to that effect in fstab.
>
> /dev/hdb6            /home                ext3
> defaults,users,acl,user_xattr        1 2
>
> I get the same error in all distributions. I cannot launch DM in user
> account as there is no write permission available.

You need to read up on selinux in the fedora site.

Also, you almost certainly will have problems in KDE, Gnome, OOo etc as
they get confused over their settings. Do not bet on them being
compatible.

I suggest mounting hdb6 at /home/pbhat/data and use it there. Even so
1) You still need to satisfy selinux
2) You may still have problems with mismatching UIDs. Not all distros
start at 500.